6 steps to make your New Year's resolutions stick
Updated: Jun 14, 2021
As we head into yet another year, many of us are setting their customary New Year's resolutions. Unfortunately, the vast majority will run out of steam long before actually reaching their goals. Will you be one of them? Or are you one of those people who don't even bother to make a resolution in the first place because you know you won't follow through anyway? Or are you one of the minority who actually reaches your goals?
The key to a successful New Year's resolution is having a vision that excites you and a goal that compels you. It's got to be something you really want and not something you think you "should" do or what other people would like you to do.
You need to create a vision that thrills you, where you can't wait to get up in the morning and get started.
It should not be something you need to force yourself to do. Forcing yourself takes willpower, and nobody has that much willpower.
Once you have a compelling enough vision, one that really, really excites you, you will want to make it happen and you will find ways to get there.
Keep in mind that real happiness won't ever be found in material things. It's not about the things we buy that makes as happy, but who we become, how we grow and what we contribute.
6 steps to make your New Year's resolutions stick:
1. Select an area of your life you would like to improve. Write down what this area is like for you right now. Be very specific.
2. What are the current habits you have that keep you there? The results you are getting are down to the habits you have. Whatever you do or don't do keeps you in your current state.
3. Define how you would like this area of your life to be. What's your compelling vision?
4. What daily habits do you need to acquire that will get you there? What do you need to do differently?
5. What are the personal standards you need to raise and hold yourself to?
6. Do what you need to do. Start working on creating new habits. You know that unless you make a change, nothing will change. Don't be afraid of change - embrace it!
Once you know what you want from your life and have a clear vision, one that captivates you and makes you feel alive and excited - focus on it every single day. Wherever your mind goes, your body will soon follow. Work on freeing yourself from limiting beliefs, negativity, fear and procrastination and live the life you truly want.
Don't let another mediocre year go by - time is ticking. Make a change today and create an amazing life! If you need help, give me a call. I'm happy to work with you and help you turn your life around.